Things you need
Plain tote bag, paper, pencil, brushes and acrylic paint/water-resistent marker pen.
( You may notice that one of the brushes in the photo is a chinese-writing brush. It helps me to draw some detailed stuff. )
單肩麻布袋，紙，鉛筆，畫筆和塑膠彩 / 油性筆。
( 你可能已經留意到相中有支毛筆。每當我要畫仔細部分時，它便會大派用場。 )
All the plain linen tote bags I used are brought from Muji. Frankly they are not the best. The linen is quite thin so you can see the picture on the other side vaguely. After used for a several times it becomes rather old and shabby. It also cannot bear heavy-weighted stuff. I used to sew them by myself. The pro is that I can choose the thickness of the linen and add a liner which allows the bag becomes much endurable. But it was quite time-consuming, esp. I sew at a sluggish pace.
1. Draft on a piece of paper.
2. Put the draft into the bag and trace the line of the draft on the tote bag with a pencil.(as shown in the left photo)
3. Colour what you have traced with acrylic paint/water-resistent marker pen.(as shown in the right photo)
4. Finish! (Super-easy, right?)
Notice: You can just do your drawing directly on the tote bag without steps 1&2 but errors are more likely to happen!
3. 用塑膠彩 / 油性筆把袋上的畫上色。(如右邊相般)
4. 完成！( 十分簡單吧？ )
Water-resistent marker pen vs Acrylic paint
The left tote bag is done by water-resistent marker pen while the right one is by acrylic paint. I prefer acrylic paint over the marker pen although marker pen is much easier to deal with and cheaper. Reasons are simple:
1. acrylic is water-durable after drying like the marker pen
2. marker pen's colour is paler as you can see
3. acrylic is much less easier to be worn-off
4. the ink of the marker pen disperse upon drawing on fabric but acrylic do not
Therefore I recommend you to draw your tote bag with acrylic paint.
(I always think there might be a type of pen specific for drawing on fabric but I cannot find. I also believe in this world there must be other paints existed more suitable for drawing on fabric! )
The above opinions are concluded from my around-2-months experience. Hope you find this tutorial useful! If you make one, feel free to send me a picture! Leave me a comment if you have any questions about this tutorial!
塑膠彩 vs 油性筆
( 我一直認為有種筆是專門畫布，但卻找不到。還有我相信世界上有很多種顏料更適合畫左布上 ！)
twitter / weibo / facebook / bloglovin' / tumblr